2007-04-12

Start Over Dads: How old is too old to have a child?

I read the artic name is "He's Not My Grandpa. He's My Dad." It is very interesting one. It talks about some man when they have a new born baby, they are age at 70-80. we call they "start-over dads (SODs) "
I am interested in this artic because I met same situation when I fist arrived Canada--that is my homestay faimly!! In the newspaper, it mention about "Tony Randall was giddily anticpating becomeing a father-at the age of 77." The luckly thing is he wife was 26 at that time, and he was image that"when the kid is 15 and we go out in the yard to play ball. I'll only be 90"("only"!!--a great men!) However, unfortunately he died in 2004 when he was 84, leaving behind not only a 7-year-old daughter, but also a 6-year-old son!!
My homestay mom (grandmom?) was 70-year-old and her youngest daughter was 18-year-old when I fist met them. She is a amazing woman. She remarried three times and have four chindren. The oldest son is over 40 and the youngest daughter only 18. She told me that when she have the youngest daughter, she was 50 and her husband was 70. The impotan thing is the 70-year-old lady have a great body and a wonderful health--running, gimpping and catching fish in the sea.
I have no idea what I want talk in this kind of situation but my mom often told me that people shoud to do the appropriate things in the right time, right age.

2 条评论:

Jennifer 说...

Nowadays, some people have new born when they are old. We cannot say it is an error. it's just have some problem to bring up the children. The fact is some old people may be die after few years. At that time, if the children are still very yang. Who can take care them in the future.

Alexander :-) 说...

Very interesting subject but I must agree with your mom quit a lot at least when it comes to have children at “right” time.
I know that complications of having babies increase for women when they turn over the 40 year mark or maybe even after 35. This not a new subject/problem for example in Sweden where the women tend to start having their own family later every generation so they can finish their school and careers first.
For men I believe that it’s less of thinking needed when it comes to age but if you are 50 and still have any kids you should start moving you ass so the sweet babies of your will not end up as orphaned (without parents) at ago 7 like the example you had.

Take care hugs Alexander :-)